Monday, January 11, 2010

Beer and Brats


Yes friends, we drank plenty of beer as we meandered down the Romantic Road towards Füssen. Not when meandering via das auto, of course, but meandering from meal to meal. Being more of a wine person, it's interesting how quickly I embrace beer when in brew region, like Spain or Germany (and from time to time, Dublin City Centre).

Bill and I were already fans of Hefeweizen, a wheat beer (especially Live Oak HefeWeizen brewed in Austin!), so we were naturally inclined toward Bavaria's Weissbier. As we also prefer darker beers, we were extremely happy to find a Weissbier Dunkel in every establishment. Of course Franconia in Bavaria is a wine region, so we were not completely beer-centric.

Before heading on our trip, a co-worker warned me that Germany was beautiful but the food was awful. "All that pork," she said. I just nodded and thought two thoughts: 1) An Irish person complaining about the preponderance of pork. Ha! and 2) Mmm....Pork.  And we did eat pork. Pork roast and sausages and schnitzels and bacon. A common meal is Nürnberger bratwursts, small sausages--typically six or so served with sauerkraut, mustard and brown bread. What more could you possibly want on a plate?

I also tried currywurst, a national favorite. I'm afraid I was not taste tingled by this sausage covered in ketchup and curry powder. Perhaps I did not sample the finest currywurst available, so I'll keep an open mind, but really, even speaking as an American, ketchup needs a lot of doctoring to truly become food.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ketchup plus Louisiana Hot Sauce becomes good.

BTW also add Worcestershire sauce to above and it becomes hot steak sauce. Of course, I abhor steak sauce on good steaks but it is good with Mcfries or lesser cuts of meat and sausage.

lisa is cooking said...

Based on your review, I will continue to be suspicious of currywurst.

mom Gunter said...

I'm with you Sharon! Brats, kraut and brown bread! Yum!What I would like the mostest right now is tomato basil soup and brown bread in that little place near the place where you hop the tram to work.